Learner Driver First Aid Awareness is a free 30-minute online course that teaches young drivers how to perform life-saving first aid skills in the event of a road crash. The tool aims to provide learner drivers with the skills to save or prolong a life – until paramedic care arrives.
The program has been designed with young people in mind, using engaging and interactive content to teach them how to deal with common road crash scenarios, such as head injuries, spinal injuries, chest injuries, and shock.
Did you know?
• Approximately 1,200 Australians are killed, and 44,000 are seriously injured on our roads every year.
• Less than five per cent of people are equipped to handle an emergency, according to a 2017 Red Cross study.
• After a traffic accident, the first 3 to 5 minutes are critical for life-preserving actions.
• It takes 4 minutes to die from a blocked airway (hypoxia) — the single cause of an estimated 85% of pre-hospital traffic deaths.
• Even in the shortest ambulance response time (9–14 minutes in AU), a person with a blocked airway won’t survive without immediate first aid.
• Simple actions, such as lifting an unconscious person’s chin to unblock their airway, could save their life.
• Controlling severe bleeding is an immediate life-saving intervention, with blood loss being another significant factor in vehicle accident pre-hospital deaths.
The course takes approximately 30–45 minutes to complete. Participants will be issued with a certificate once they have completed the course. Please note is not a formal first aid certification.